Found! First Earth-Size Planet That Could Potentially Support Life
Astronomers have discovered a planet about the size of Earth,
orbiting its star in the zone where oceans of liquid water would be possible.
A study of the newly-found planet indicates it could have an Earth-like atmosphere and water at its surface. The planet Kepler-186f is the fifth planet of the star Kepler-186, 490 light-years away.
The planet has 1.11 times the Earth’s mass. Its radius is 1.1 times that of Earth. Kepler-186f orbits at 32.5 million miles (52.4 million kilometers) from its parent star. Its year is 130 Earth days.
The planet orbits Kepler-186, an M-type dwarf star less than half as massive as the sun. Because the star is cooler than the sun, the planet receives solar energy less intense than that received by Mars in our solar system, despite the fact that Kepler-186f orbits much closer to its star.
guys this isn’t just some science jerk-offery. This is legitimately the first confirmed exoplanet that fulfils all of NASA’s main prerequisites, same mass, same density, rocky, right zone in terms of heat, it may even have an atmosphere.
Soon we’re launching a satellite code named “Star Shade”, which although it sounds badass is literal- it’s a massive unfurling shade that will allow a powerful telescope to TAKE PHOTOS of these goddamn planets, no doubt this one will be first on the list, to see what they look like.
PHOTOS, EVERYBODY. PHOTOS.
I say we name it in honour of Carl Sagan who first brought serious investigation into finding exoplanets in a time where people didn’t even believe they existed, yet.
Pastel Icebergs by Zaria Forman
Zaria Forman perfectly masters drawing with pastels. Recently, the artist reveals works representing icebergs. An impressive record, discovered in a series of beautiful images.
A beautifully done animation on how you became you.
See the full video here as I left out some really cool parts.
From 300 or so million down to ONE.
YOU. MADE. IT.
This is so awesome..
Why does that one guard look like kanye
"Remember Boss, this is a sneaking mission. How you eliminate them is up to you.."
Convo I just had with my dad
- Dad: hey I'm gonna go grocery shopping do you need anything?
- Me: uuuhhh....
- Me: contemplates wether or not I should ask him to get me pads since I need them desperately
- Dad: anything at all?
- Me: uh... Yeah.... Can you get me some pads
- Dad: Sure
- Me: Are you serious? Wouldn't you be embarrassed?
- Dad: Natalie, I'm a 56 year old man who has been buying pads for your mother for over 20 years. No I'm not embarrassed.
- Me: But I thought guys get squirmish when we ask them to buy this stuff for us
- Dad: boys are squirmish. Men will step out and buy you as many pads and tampons as you need. A man will understand that you cannot control your cycle and that this is a natural bodily process. So, if you ever find a guy who's too embarrassed to buy you pad just bleed on everything he owns.
- Me: OMG DAD